Learn About Toyota Hybrid Vehicles
Toyota Hybrid Electric Vehicles (HEVs) combine gas engines with electric motors to generate electricity as you drive. While your vehicle is in motion, Toyota’s Hybrid Synergy Drive seamlessly, and automatically, chooses the optimal source and blend of motive power. And because the system recharges as you drive, you never need to plug-in the hybrid electric vehicle.
In most conditions, only the electric motor is engaged, saving fuel and delivering instant torque with minimal emissions.
ACCELERATING AND CRUISING
The gas engine and electric motor team up to provide the ideal mix of power for seamless acceleration. Excess energy is used to help recharge the battery.
DECELERATING AND BRAKING
The electric motor takes over. The regenerative braking system converts braking energy into electric energy to help recharge the battery onboard the vehicle.
RESTING AND REVERSING
When stopped, the gas engine shuts down to conserve fuel – unless the battery is running low. When reversing at low speed, only the electric motor is required.
Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles
Toyota plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs) operate much the same way as regular Toyota hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs). However, they can also be optionally plugged in - enabling you to extend your electric-only driving range. RAV4 Prime and Prius Prime are great examples of PHEV technology.
Toyota Corolla Prime
- Commute up to 40 km in EV Mode alone
- Reach a top speed of 135 km/h in EV Mode
- Travel up to 1,035 km between fill-ups with a full tank and fully charged battery
- 5 hr 30 minutes charge time with a standard 120v household outlet.
- Prius Prime offers one of the fastest charging times in its class. Plus, you don’t need to purchase any special equipment to charge it.
Toyota RAV4 Prime
- Commute up to 68 km in EV Mode alone
- Reach a top speed of up to 135 km/h in EV Mode
- 2 hr 30 minutes charge time with a 240v32A outlet.